40. When a number of people __ together in a conversational knot, each individual expresses his
position in the group by where he stands.
[ A ] pad [ B ] pack
[ C ] squeeze [ D ] cluster
41. Nicoll made a few __ with his pen on the page he had just read.
[ A ] signals [ B ] marks
[ C ] signs [ D ] codes
42. During the summer holiday season there are no __ moms in this seaside hotel.
[ A ] empty [ B ] blank
[ C ] deserted [ D ] vacant
43. Does brain power as we get older.'? Scientists now have some surprising answers.
[ A ] desceod [ B ] decline
[ C ] deduce [ D ] collapse
44. To be an inventor, one needs profound knowledge as well as a very __ imagination.
[ A ] vivid [ B ] bright
[ C ] living [ D ] colorful
45. He gave a brief of the history of the university before the opening of the conference.
[ A ] reference [ B ] statement
[ C ] account [ D ] comment
46. The insurance company paid him $10,000 in after his accident.
[ A ] installment [ B ] compensation
[ C ] substitution [ D ] commission
47. People who refuse to with the law will be punished.
[ A ] obey [ B ] consent
[ C ] conceal [ D ] comply
48. Why does a vegetarian restaurant make its dishes resemble meat in every way except __
[ A ] ingredients [ B ] elements
[ C ] components [ D ] compounds
49. Hot metal as it grows cooler.
[ A ] contracts [ B ] reduces
[ C ] condenses [ D ] compresses
50. His tastes and habits with those of his wife.
[ A ] combine [ B ] compete
[ C ] coincide [ D ] compromise
51. The boy slipped out of the room and headed for the swimming pool without his parents' __
[ A ] command [ B ] conviction
[ C ] consent [ D ] compromise
52. In Scotland, as in the rest of the United Kingdom, __ schooling begins at age 5 and ends at
[ A ] compelling [ B ] forced
[ C ] obliged [ D ] compulsory
53. The Wright brothers __ the design of the first successful motor-powered plane.
[ A ] confronted [ B ] concealed
[ C ] converted [ D ] conceived
54. Rejecting the urging of his physician father to study medicine, Hawking chose to __ on math
and theoretical physics.
[ A ] impose [ B ] center
[ C ] overwork [ D ] concentrate
55. Among the many subjects in school, mathematics is probably the most , depending least on
a student's background and culture.
[ A ] universal [ B ] 'abstract
[ C ] arbitrary [ D ] concrete
56. A good teacher must know how to his ideas.
[ A ] convey [ B ] display
[ C ] consult [ D ] confront
57. China Daily never loses sight of the fact that each day all of us __ a tough, challenging world.
[ A ] encounter [ B ] acquaint
[ C ] preside [ D ] confront
58. The largest system serving e-mail messengers is the Intemet, a I of millions of computers
[ A ] unity [ B ] combination
[ C ] network [ D] connection
59. Every camera we sell comes with a two-year
[ A ] guarantee [ B ] safety
[ C ] confirmation [ D ] conservation
60. Sometimes they __ their students' poor comprehension to a lack of intelligence.
[ A ] distribute [ B ] attribute
[ C] contribute [ D ] consider
61. This kind of material can heat and moisture.
[ A ] delete [ B ] compel
[ C ] repel [ D ] constrain
62. For the past two years, Audi cars have __ Germany's Touring Car Championship.
[ a ] dominated [ B ] conquered
[ C ] determined [ D ] contested
63. The pollution question as well as other issues is going to be discussed when the Congress is in
again next spring.
[ A ] assembly [ B ] session
[ C ] conference [ D ] convention
64. The prisoner has been of many privileges that average citizens enjoy.
[ a ] ensured [ B ] informed
[ C ] deprived [ D ] convinced
65. In order to strengthen his arguments, Toffler __ respectable social scientists who agree with
[ A ] recites [ B ] confirms
[ C ] quotes [ D ] convinces
66. Nowadays advertising costs are no longer in reasonable __ to the total cost of the product.
[ A ] proportion [ B ] correlation
[ C ] connection [ D ] correspondence
67. I was I by their kindness and moved to tears.
[ A ] preoccupied [ B ] embarrassed
[ C ] overwhelmed [ D ] counseled
68. It's usually the case that people seldom behave in a __ way when in a furious state.
[ a ] stable [ B ] rational
[ C ] legal [ D ] credible
69. A friendship may be __ , casual, situational or deep and lasting.
[ A ] identical [ B ] original
[ C ] superficial [ D ] critical
70. Our readers are comfortable with our clear, words that inform and entertain them.
[ A ] conventional [ B ] concise
[ C ] creative [ D ] crucial
71. By computation, he estimated that the repairs on the house would cost him a thousand dollars.
[ A ] coarse [ B ] rude
[ C ] rough [ D ] crude
72. Children and old people (lo not like having their daily __ upset.
[ A ] habit [ B ] routine
[ C ] practice [ D ] custom
73. I was speaking to Ann on the phone when suddenly we were __
[ A ] hung [ B ] hung back
[ C ] cat down [ D ] cat off
74. I tried very. hard to persuade him to join our group but I met with a flat __
[ A ] disapproval [ B ] rejection
[ C ] refusal [ D ] decline
75. Last year, the crime rate in Chicago has sharply _--
[ A ] slipped [ B ] lessened
[ C ] descended [ D ] declined
76. I could see that my wife was __ having that fur coat, whether I approved of it or not.
[ A ] intent on [ B ] adequate for
[ C ] short of [ D ] deficient in
77. The human voice often sounds on the telephone.
[ A ] twisted [ B ] irregular
[ C ] distorted [ D ] deformed
78. Some people either __ avoid questions of right and wrong or remain neutral about them.
[ A ] violently [ B ] enthusiastically
[ C ] sincerely [ D ] deliberately
79. We are __-- faced with the necessity to recognize that having more people implies a lower stand-ard of living.
[ A ] readily [ B ] smoothly
[ C ]inevitahly [ D ] deliberately